Louisiana Election Commissioner Training & ExaminationWelcome and thank you for your decision to become an Election Day commissioner! You provide a vital role in the democratic process.
This course will walk you through the training and examination process necessary for you to become a commissioner. Should you have any questions regarding this process, please contact the Clerk of Court’s Elections Department at: (504) 736-6394.
Louisiana Election Commissioner Training & ExaminationPlease follow the instructions on the following screens to:
- Complete the application form
- Complete the Election Day training videos
- Complete the examination
- Submit your results
VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTEYou MUST complete the next slide (your name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your SSN) in its entirety or your application may be ineligible.
Louisiana Election Commissioner Training Videos
- 1 - Introduction
- 2 - Verification
- 3 - Pre-Election Setup
- 4 - Election Day Voting
- 5 - Closing the Polls
- 6 - Provisional Voting
Louisiana Election Commissioner Training & ExaminationNow that you have completed the videos, please click the "Next" button to begin the exam.
There are 15 questions on the exam. You must get 10 correct to pass the exam. Once you've completed the exam, you will see your results.
If you do not pass on your first attempt, you will be able to retake the exam again.
1. According to law, who shall be allowed to go to the front of the line to cast a ballot at the polls?
- A voter who is visibly handicapped.
- A voter who is late for work.
- A voter who is accompanied by a child.
2. If a commissioner-in-charge fails to appear at the polling place before the opening of the polls on election day, the commissioners in attendance shall immediately:
- Notify the Parish Board of Election Supervisors.
- Select a commissioner-in-charge from the watchers present.
- Notify the parish custodian (Clerk of Court) for a replacement commissioner-in-charge to be sent.
3. For what elected offices are voters allowed to cast a provisional ballot?
- Governor and other statewide offices.
- Louisiana State Senators and State Representatives.
- Federal offices (U.S. President, U.S. Senator, U.S. Representative, or Presidential Preference Primary).
4. If a voter arrives without any form of photo identification, a commissioner shall:
- Not allow the person to vote
- Call the Registrar of Voter
- Ask the voter to complete a voter identification affidavit and check the identifiers (date of birth & mother's maiden name) with the information in the precinct register to make sure it matches before allowing the voter to vote.
5. If on the signature line next to a voter's name there is "ADDRESS CONFIRMATION REQ" and the voter has not voted absentee, which form must be completed?
- A precinct register correction.
- An address confirmation card.
- A voter identification affidavit.
6. Which answer does NOT apply in determining whether to allow a voter to receive assistance in voting?
- Allow a voter to receive assistance because he is old.
- Allow a voter to receive assistance if the precinct register so indicates.
- Allow a voter to receive assistance if he completes a voter assistance form or presents proof of disability by presenting a physician's certificate, a mobility impaired card, or letter of disability from social security adm., veteran's or la rehabilitation, paratransit services, or office for citizens with dev. disabilities or if they are unable to read.
A person marked on the precinct register as "voted by mail":
- Must vote in person if he is within the parish on election day.
- Shall not vote in person at the polls on election day.
- Can vote in person if he desires to do so, and his absentee ballot will not be counted.
8. The name of every person who votes at the polling place shall be entered on the poll lists that are kept separate from the precinct register:
- By the voter.
- By two commissioners.
- By the watchers.
9. If the name of a qualified voter was omitted from the precinct register or the supplemental precinct register, the commissioner shall:
- Not allow him to vote.
- Take his word that he is a registered voter and allow him to vote.
- Contact the registrar of voters or secretary of state to determine whether or not the person should be allowed to vote and if so, fill out the precinct register correction form.
10. In identifying a voter prior to voting, a commissioner shall first request:
- His Louisiana driver's license, LA Wallet digital driver's license, a Louisiana special identification card, or other generally recognized identification card that contains the name and signature of the applicant.
- A credit card.
- His voter identification card.
11. The clerk of court clear zipper bag should contain:
- Address confirmation card and a poll list.
- Official election results reports and machine certificates.
- Voter identification affidavit and machine certificates.
- Payroll affidavit and zero proof reports.
12. One of the three grounds for challenging a person applying to vote is:
- The applicant is not listed on the precinct register.
- The applicant has not voted in the last four elections.
- The applicant is not qualified to vote in the precinct.
13. Prior to serving at the polling place, a watcher must:
- Show his driver's license. .
- Present his commission to the commissioner-in-charge.
- Produce a letter from the candidate naming him as a watcher.
14. If there is a problem with a voting machine, the commissioners shall:
- Try to repair the voting machine.
- Contact the parish custodian (Clerk of Court).
- No longer use the voting machine.
15. No political activity related to items on the ballot is allowed between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on election day in the following location(s):
- Within 300 feet of the entrance to any polling place.
- Inside the polling place or within 600 feet of the entrance to any polling place, except on private property.
- On private property.
Elections Commissioner Test Results
CORRECT that's right! you selected the correct response.
INCORRECT you did not select the correct response.